This is a great time of year to experiment with clothes you already have. Take everything out of your wardrobe and even the process of putting back in again will remind you of items forgotten.
Here are a few creative ideas to try:
- Add a summer shirt under your knitwear to add a unique collar
- Go raw: unmade hems add a creative edge, avoid too perfect
- Layer two jackets: a slim line denim or leather fit under an oversized over coat
- Layer two fine tops and show the sleeves from underneath a short or another long sleeve
- Separate smart suits: tailored jacket with jeans, and pinstripe trousers with trainers and a knit
- Mix prints: stripes and spots, checks and florals
- Humour is good if understated, a quirky ring or printed t-shirt brakes up the norm
- Add a casual hoody under a smarter coat
- Add one item that you really love, it may be a beautiful belt or the softest cashmere
- If a jumper is too short, wear it over a longer t-shirt to add a band of colour at the hem
- Add a shirt or long sleeve t-shirt under a dress or jumpsuit
- If a neckline is too low, wear it over a straight edge cami (M&S, £5) to fill the space.
- Tonal colours don’t have to match perfectly, a few different shades are often more interesting
- Add a pop of colour somewhere, a sweater or scarf will lift your skin tone and your mood
Remember, if you are less confident about trying a new look, make sure you are with friends for the first time, so if you decide it’s not for you, no problem – but if you love it, then you are ready to wear it out with pride.
It’s amazing how creative you can be if you spend a few hours experimenting. Push the boundaries every now and then, but if you need some direction, let me know, I’d love to help.
I found these images on Pinterest.